Landline, mobile telphones



The connection for a landline is generally provided by the Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation ( NTT ). However, you may also use internet telephone of other providers. When you apply for a telephone service, you must present your passport or residence card.

Mobile telephones

SIM cards purchased outside of Japan cannot be used in mobile telephone handsets in Japan. You will have to subscribe to a new service. You can purchase a SIM card and enter into a subscriber agreement at any consumer electronics retailer or sales store of a mobile telephone company. To complete procedures, you will need personal identification (Japanese driver’s license, passport, residence card, or health insurance card, etc.). For details, please check with the store where you intend to purchase a SIM card.

The following are Japan’s three major communications carriers.

■ NTT DoCoMo

■ Softbank

■ au