Persons who intend to visit Japan for up to 90 days for sightseeing, business, or a visit to family and friends without engaging in any activities involving remuneration must apply for and obtain a “Temporary Visitor” visa. The same applies to international researchers who intend to visit the University of Tsukuba to attend a symposium or research conference, or make an inspection tour or courtesy call to the university. Note that a visa may not be required for researchers of certain nationalities and regions. Please check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan for the latest information.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Short-Term Stay
- Exemption of Visa (Shot-Term Stay)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Procedures for Short-Term Stay
If you require a visa, please check with the Japanese embassy or consulate nearest to you what documents you will need, and ask the university of Tsukuba to prepare the necessary documents. You are responsible for undertaking necessary application procedures in your home country.
■ Examples of main documents the university prepares (in the case of a short-term business visa)
- Invitation Letter
- Letter of Guarantee
- Schedule of intended activities during stay
- Certificate of employment of the recipient of the invitation
- University brochure and other information
■ Examples of main documents the applicant prepares (in the case of a short-term business visa)
- Visa application
- Photos of the applicant
- Reservation confirmation/certificate, etc. of air/sea travel
- Documents certifying applicant’s ability to pay for travel expenses
- Certificate of employment, etc.
The documents required vary depending on the applicant’s nationality, purpose of visit to Japan, and method of payment for travel expenses. Details of necessary documentation are provided on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Please check the website before preparing your application.
- Nationals of China
- Nationals of Russian
- Nationals of CIS countries and Georgia
- Nationals of Philippines
- Nationals of Viet Nam
- Persons other than nationals of China, Russia, the CIS Countries, or Georgia or the Philippines, Viet Nam
- Nationals of China