Overseas Student Safety Management Assistance (OSSMA)
The University of Tsukuba introduced OSSMA by Emergency Assistance Japan (EAJ) in preparation for problems including happenings, accidents, etc. at your destination when you travel overseas for education, training, internship, research investigation, academic conference, convention, etc.
A traveler’s insurance is a system to provide a certain amount of money to those who contracted an illness, encountered an accident, etc. overseas whereas OSSMA does not cover necessary cost in response (medical bill, etc.) but makes accurate recommendations of local hospitals, transportation to the hospital, etc. if a happening or accident occurs during your stay at your overseas destination.
For students to make the most of their lives overseas, if a problem occurs during their stay, OSSMA will provide appropriate support in English or Japanese 24 hours a day, every day. The University of Tsukuba strongly recommends that students join (subject to fees). When getting into a program to be hosted by our university, joining OSSMA is made compulsory so check with the administrator in advance.
- OSSMA services
- OSSMA membership fee
- OSSMA membership application
- STEP 1 Application
- STEP 2 Transfer the OSSMA individual fee
- STEP 3 Join an optional overseas traveler’s insurance
- STEP 4 Application completed
- STEP 5 Registration of travel information to OSSMA LOCATOR
- Use of OSSMA service
- In the case of groups
If a problem occurs during your stay overseas, assistance coordinators will provide support in English or Japanese 24 hours, every day at the OSSMA helpline.
Notes: OSSMA offers advanced membership managed risk services while traveling overseas and is not an insurance. Medical expenses for hospitalization, medical treatment, checkup, counseling, etc., attorney’s fees, and costs of professionals who handle abduction and hostage-taking will be borne by the member. Therefore, traveler’s insurance is required together with this service.
OSSMA helpline cases
|Lost passport||You will be told about authorities concerned including embassies and advised how to apply for a new passport.|
|Feel ill||As the situation demands, an appropriate healthcare facility will be introduced and the facility will be contacted to make arrangements.|
|Concerned about being understood at a hospital||An assistance coordinator will interpret for you and the foreign doctor by telephone.|
|I want to know about making payments at a hospital||As the situation demands, assistance coordinators will stand in for making payments or provide support for subsequent insurance claims.|
|Serious accident||As may be necessary, assistance coordinators will arrange for the dispatch of doctors, emergency transport, and repatriation.|
Delivery of information and safety confirmation through the OSSMA Locator
- Browse and manage the location and information of travelers online and keep an eye on them during their stay.
- Confirm safety through scheduled emails.
- Delivery of information on local law and order, natural disaster, and infectious disease.
- Provisional safety confirmation in the event of a disaster.
Difference between insurance and assistance
Insurance ⇒ Fund
- A system whereby many people contribute to pay a premium in preparation for economic insecurity caused by an accident including fire and death and funded with that, it provides a certain amount to a person involved in the accident. Life insurance, general insurance, other insurance.
Assistance ⇒ Action
- Placing maximum priority on human life, action will be taken to confine risks associated with international students at a minimal loss.
- In medical care cases, local hospitals, transport, airplanes, etc. will be appropriately appointed and secured.
OSSMA membership fee
|Dispatch period||Individual fee||_||Dispatch period||Individual fee|
|1 month||¥ 3,300||5 month||¥ 18,700|
|2 month||¥ 5,500||6 month||¥ 22,000|
|3 month||¥ 11,000||7 month to 9 month||¥ 26,400|
|4 month||¥ 14,850||10 month to 12 month||¥ 29,700|
(Including domestic tax)
+ ¥182 in additional fees
For individual fees, in the case where the dispatch period is more than 10 days plus the number of months of dispatch, the number of months will be rounded out.
– Travel period: January 1 to February 9 (1 month fee)
– Travel period: January 1 to February 10 (2 month fee)
OSSMA membership application
When our students, faculty members and employees join OSSMA, the procedure is as follows.
|STEP 2||Transfer the OSSMA individual fee.|
|STEP 3||Join an optional overseas traveler’s insurance.|
|STEP 4||Application completed.(You will be provided a membership ID and service guide at a later date.)|
|STEP 5||Registration of travel information to OSSMA LOCATOR.|
|Access the following URL and proceed to the application procedures for OSSMA after entering the login code and password.
OSSMA application site: (https://www.eaj.ne.jp/ossma❐)
《Procedure after login to the website for OSSMA application》
See the following PDF for details.
Join an optional overseas traveler’s insurance (any insurance company).
Application completed. You will be providede a membership ID and sarvice guide at a later date.
To receive services provided by OSSMA, registration of your travel information is required in the OSSMA LOCATOR below.
OSSMA LOCATOR (https://ossma.eaj.ne.jp/❐)
* Receipt number (OSSMA Member ID number)
《Registration procedures of the travel information to OSSMA LOCATOR》
Notes: A safety confirmation e-mail will be sent to the registered e-mail address so be sure to register an accessible e-mail address on site.
Initiation of collaboration with Tabireg of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
By agreeing to the registration for Tabireg on the member registration page of the OSSMA locator, your basic information and itinerary registered in the locator will be registered in Tabireg automatically.
■ OSSMA service guide
After login to OSSMA LOCATOR, click “HELP” in the menu to access the service guide.
Print the member card screen in the OSSMA service guide, enter the receipt number (OSSMA member ID number) and take it around with you on site.
Use of OSSMA service
■ If the need arises in your travel destination, etc.
Call the contact information in the OSSMA service guide (collect call available).
■ Safety confirmation
For OSSMA members, the safety confirmation e-mail will sent on arrival time and every two weeks so be sure to answer it. In the case of a disaster, at times of crisis, etc. a corresponding safety confirmation may take place. The result of the safety confirmation will be reported to the university.
■ OSSMA service use instructions
- Qualification for service use
For OSSMA, the member and his/her family are covered.
- Service period: during stay overseas
During temporary return to Japan, this service is not applicable.
- When service can’t be provided: They may be a delay in implementation of crisis management and support due to force majeure including general strike, transit strike, disaster, war, civil war, terrorism, insurgence, riot, retaliation, traffic and transport restraints, explosion, and nuclear accident and it may not be asserted.
- In the case of a cancellation after the issuance of the member ID number OSSMA, promptly direct inquiries to the OSSMA office.
■ Handling of personal information
The underwriter (Emergency Assistance Japan) strives for the appropriate management, use, and preservation of personal information of OSSMA members which may come to knowledge in the course of business and will not use for any purpose other than service provision.
In the case of groups
In the case a group of students intends to join and register in OSSMA, each student should complete STEP 1 above. After that, in the case a representative will pay the membership fee in a lump sum, direct inquiries to the OSSMA office after writing down the receipt number of the applicants (OSSMA member ID number).
■ OSSMA contact information
OSSMA office of Emergency Assistance Japan Co. Ltd.
(Remove “#” from the above e-mail address before sending mail.)
Web site: https://emergency.co.jp/english/❐
■ On-campus coordinator
Coordinator for overseas safety and crisis management administrator, Global Commons
(Remove “#” from the above e-mail address before sending mail.)